Friday, February 19, 2010

A star is born. Anthem X-Ben 99.999999% finished!!!!!


Sooooooooooo not saying it's completely done, that would be misleading. What do I have left to do before it is rideable? Finish tensioning the wheels, install tape and valve stems, and install grips. Here is the DL:
Frame: 2009 Giant Anthem X1
Fork: RockShox SID Team 100mm
Shock: Fox RP2
Handlebar: FSA K-Force
Stem: Cannondale Fire 120mm
Seatpost: Token carbon
Saddle: Token carbon
Pedals: Look Quartz
Shifters: Shimano XT Triggers
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR Shadow
Brakes: Avid Elixir R
Cassette: Shimano DuraAce 11-27
Chain: KMC X10SL Gold
Cranks: Shimano XT with TA 26/38 rings
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
Rims: Stans ZTR Podium MMX
Hubs: WTB Laserdisc Lite
Spokes/Nipples: DT Swiss Revolution 2.0/1.5/2.0 spokes with gold DT alloy nipples
Skewers: Token carbon/Ti
Tires: Kenda Small Block 8 26x2.1 regular tube type
Extras: Nokon cable housing, Token seat clamp, Bike Ribbon cork/foam grips.

So if you read my post a few weeks ago I said my goal for this bike was to lose 2lbs and have it sit around 23.5lbs. Well I did in fact meet that goal. You could say that I almost doubled my expected 2lb loss............. Total bike weight is...............................21.8lbs!!!!
Well actually it was 21.69 but I am taking into account the valve stems and sealant that I will put in tomorrow (but I did weigh it with the grips). My wheelset came out to 1314grams before valve stems and tape. Should be around 1380 grams with tape, valves, and skewers! Definitely the coolest and lightest (by far) bike I've ever owned. Almost 2lbs lighter than my 2009 X0.

Plans for the fall. Cranks, brakes, hubs, front derailleur, fork, shifters...............not going to be specific here but I have my eye on some pretty cool stuff. Sub 20lbs perhaps.......

Quartz pedals, TA rings, KMC chain, DA cassette

Token saddle and post nom nom

Gold nipples, I like the golden ones ha ha ha. Podium MMX rims (288grams DAMN!) Also DT Revolution spokes.

Another look at the drivetrain. Can't wait to give her a spin.
 
Here's a little update for you, done through pictures.  I did quite a bit more work to it last winter and now she sits pretty close to where I want it to be.  Just a few more parts to tweak but the Pulsar gets all my money right now :-)




















NEWEST PIC, Spring 2013

8 comments:

  1. Nice build.

    I also ride am Anthem X and am in the process of weenie'ing it out.

    I also plan on running it 2x9. However, how is the clearance from the frame to the 26t? I'd be trying to squeeze a 28t in there.


    Also, watch out for Ti QRs, they have a tendency to stretch under load and make for an interesting squirmy feeling. I ran Ti skewers on my old superlight and had to switch back to cro mo due to flex.

    cheers
    Aaron

    superlightracer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sorry forgot to mention that I checked and there is tons of clearance for a 28t. I also notice the flex of the skewers but it hasn't bothered me yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting a 2010 Anthem X2 in small soon. Think I can get 22lbs adding these parts?:

    -Mavic Crossmax SLR
    -Schwalbe Rocket Ron
    -SRAM X0 twisters, RD
    -Giant Contact SLR seatpost, stem, bars
    -Fox F100RL
    -Magura Marta SL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to say but I think you are headed in the right direction. You also mentioned on Weight Weenies that you are changing cranks, cassette, derailleurs. I think you probably will enter the 22lb range but might be on the higher end of 22lbs. My guess would be around 22.8lbs but you won't know for sure until you get it built up. Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. after polishing the frame is painted without color, or a chemical treatment? if not, the same time, will be trouble....

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no paint product that will effectively stick to polished aluminum for any length of time. Also any clear coat tends to turn the finish cloudy. I polish and protect the aluminum with a product called Metal Gloss. It works very well and keeps a mirror finish for a few months. I re-buff the aluminum every couple months which takes about as long as a good wax job (20 minutes).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you know by accident what kind of headset the anthem fits? I'm a kind of confused to the difference between IS en ZS...
    http://www.bike-components.de/download/s.h.i.s_englisch.pdf

    i'm trying to figure it out with this document... but i'm still clueless

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Samuel,
    That document is somewhat confusing I agree. The thing is, the Anthem is a zero stack. However the bearing cups are pressed in from the factory and you should never need to touch/replace them. So when shopping for a headset, you do not need bearing cups of any sort. The good thing is that if for any reason the bearing cups fail on an Anthem they are replaceable (you would get the part from Giant). On an IS frame if the cups get messed up you have to buy a new frame :-( Almost no one uses IS.

    ReplyDelete